Wednesday, June 24, 2015

How I Live My Life As A Content Writer

SEO services in Dubai


I hated content writing.

But it is my life now. It pays the bills, makes for some good cash and it isn’t so hard. But it’s exhausting, physically and emotionally. And it corroded my creativity levels down to a nub. I hate it, but I love it at the same time. That’s where the problem lies. Because honestly, I do not know how to feel about it.

Content writing, if you haven’t heard, is basically writing for Google. And no, not the search engine. But yes, for that search engine, but not really for the search engine. See it this way, you make content in order for Google to notice a website. Content here is subjective. You can write as shitty as you want, or as awesomely as you want. Nobody cares; the difference it makes won’t matter anyways.

But why write if it does not make any difference at all, you ask? Or why write when it is not an expression of your soul? I write because for Internet marketing strategies to work, they need a couple of averagely-written, run of the mill articles to build a network of links that supports the company’s website. And I do it for the money.

The story of how I became a content writer was, may I say, an interesting one. I was a marketing graduate looking for a job, but was inherently interested in writing. In job fairs that I attended, one post kept calling out to me: content writer. I sent my resume to a couple of those companies hoping for the best, but it wasn’t until I provided samples that these companies started contacting me to write for them.

At first, I thought it was exciting. Writing for a living? Hell yeah. Its my passion from way back and I badly wanted to really pursue a writing degree in college. But that was not meant to be so, yeah.

Right from the start, I questioned it. There were so many rules, and basically I was writing to promote. It was, a form of marketing, disguised as writing.

I was supposed to love it. Marketing was the degree I persevered to get and writing was my passion. But why did it felt so wrong to work for this kind of industry? But I didn’t mind it. I didn’t mind that simple warning in my heart. In my mind, I am writing, and that’s the most important part of the equation. With writing, I may get bored, but not impassioned. I learned early on that with sales and marketing, one mishap and my world is kaput. I didn’t had the patience or the heart for marketing, but I did with writing.

So I’ve written. For anybody under the sun: SEO services in Dubai, logo design Abu Dhabi, and some local clients. And then, 3 years have past and I am still here. Still writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment